Three Cup Tofu

Twice Frozen-and-Thawed Tofu fried to golden-brown perfection and coated with the quintessential Taiwanese “Three Cup” sauce — what more could you ask for?! This is an easy and authentic vegan Taiwanese recipe that will elevate your weeknight dinners ten-fold.

“Three Cup” refers to the traditional Taiwanese recipe, which includes equal parts soy sauce, rice wine, and sesame oil. In this recipe, I will honor that tradition.

The Three Cup sauce is sticky, salty and slightly sweet with a deep caramelized flavor. Taiwanese people use the sauce in a variety of stir-fry dishes, and they mostly involve poultry or seafood. In addition to the condiments, “Three Cup” sauce would not be complete without basil. Basil gives the sauce an amazing peppery flavor and a mint-y undertone.

Frozen and Thawed Tofu

The technique is easy, but will elevate your tofu dishes ten-fold. You simply freeze the tofu, thaw it completely, freeze it again, then thaw it completely again. This can be done without taking the tofu out of its packet.

What happens when you freeze the tofu is that the liquid inside the tofu crystallizes and forms large clumps. And when you thaw the tofu, the ice crystals will melt but the space they have taken up will remain there, creating many cracks and tears on the tofu. Doing this process two times simply magnifies its effect.

My Taiwanese Fried Tofu recipe uses a similar technique.

Three Cup Tofu

4 from 34 votes
Recipe by George L. Course: DinnerCuisine: TaiwaneseDifficulty: Medium
Servings

servings
Prep time

minutes
Cooking time

minutes

Twice frozen-and-thawed tofu fried to golden-brown perfection and coated with the quintessential Taiwanese “Three Cup” sauce. An easy and authentic vegan Taiwanese recipe that will elevate your weeknight dinners ten-fold.

Ingredients

• Tofu “Chicken”
  • 1 package (396 g) medium-firm tofu, frozen and thawed

• Wet Batter
  • 1/2 cup flour

• 1/2 cup oat milk (or other non-dairy milk)

• 1 teaspoon baking powder

• 4 tablespoons sesame oil

• 2 tablespoon brown sugar

• 4 tablespoons light soy sauce

• 4 tablespoons rice wine

• 1 bunch basil, leaves only

Directions

• Today we’re working with Medium-Firm Tofu that has been frozen, completely thawed, frozen again, and completely thawed again.* Note: You only take the tofu out of its container after the second thaw. Press the tofu (for at least 15 minutes) either with a tofu press or a heavy object to squeeze out extra liquid. Be careful not to press too hard as the tofu is very brittle at this stage.
  • Using your fingers, gently pull apart the tofu into nugget-sized pieces. Set them aside.
  • Prepare the wet batter. Simply combine all the dry ingredients, add the non-dairy milk, and give it a good whisk. Make sure that the batter is well combined and that there are little to no lumps. Prepare the seasoning flour by mixing all the ingredients as well.
  • To batter the tofu pieces, dip them first into the wet batter, then into the seasoning flour. Pack the flour in very well!
  • Now onto the frying process — heat up a good amount of vegetable oil until around 180 degrees C (or use the chopstick test*). Remember to prepare a sheet pan lined with paper towel before frying. Once everything is ready, fry the tofu pieces until both each piece is entirely golden-brown. When the tofu is done, take them out of the oil to drain on the paper towel.
  • In a small-medium sized pan, heat up the sesame oil on medium heat and fry the garlic & ginger until aromatic, around 1-2 minutes. Then, add the brown sugar, soy sauce, and rice wine and reduce until the sauce has a coating consistency.
  • Add the fried tofu back into the pan and coat them completely with the three cup sauce. Finally, take off the heat and add the basil leaves to wilt them in the residual heat.

Notes

• Note #1: This freeze-thaw technique traps creates pockets and tears within the tofu, making its texture resemble chicken.
  • Note #2: The “chopstick test”: If a wooden chopstick starts to bubble immediately when you place it in the oil, then the oil is hot enough for frying.

Did you make this recipe? I’d love to see your recreations!

Tag @chez.jorge on Instagram and hashtag it #chezjorge

Like this recipe? Pin it and save it for later!

Follow us @thechezjorge on Pinterest

Notify of
guest
34 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Amy Ng
Amy Ng
9 months ago

This turned out really well! The freeze/thaw method really made a different texture. Definitely need to press out all the water for a good fry.

Patricia
Patricia
9 months ago

Hey George! Do you use Thai basil for this recipe?
Thanks 🙂

Mackenzie S
Mackenzie S
8 months ago

This came out great! The fried tofu was absolutely perfect and I loved the sauce. A must try again!

Angela N.
Angela N.
7 months ago

This was really good! I didn’t have enough sauce to coat my tofu so I will probably double the sauce next time.

Julie
Julie
6 months ago

Absolutely loved making this dish! So full of flavor and prefect crispness

Mary C
Mary C
6 months ago

Just made this tonight and it was by far the best tofu dish I’ve ever had. I ran out of the coating sauce so I would probably double that the next time I make it.

Rose
5 months ago

Could you prepare the recipe up to finished fried stage, (say earlier in the day)then when ready for dinner, complete the cook in the sauce.

Janeen
Janeen
5 months ago

Made 3 Cup Tofu last night for my non vegan parents. It turned out so delicious my father kept going in about how goid it was. The whole family loved it!
It was so good, tonight I made the sauce with oyster mushrooms and a handful of other veggies. One of our new favorite meals 💕
Sadly I didn’t take a pic because we were so excited to eat I forgot.

Steve
Steve
4 months ago

Im so glad I found you. Delicious!

Sam sim
Sam sim
4 months ago

Hi! Excited to try this recipe! Do you have a good non-alcoholic substitution for the wine?

Cecile Laloux
Cecile Laloux
4 months ago

Hi George! This looks amazing and need to make this ASAP!!! Question though: do you thaw the tofu at room temperature or in the fridge? Any plastic package will work? Thank you 🙏🏻

Freja
Freja
4 months ago

I made this recently and it was fantastic! Sooo tasty! I coated my tofu in some corn starch and baked it with oil on high heat in the oven instead of frying it. It was a breeze to make and one of the tasties dishes I’ve ever made!

Jan
Jan
3 months ago

What rice wine do you use?
Mirin, sake, Shaoxing, or something else?

Thanks!

Ryk Edelstien
3 months ago

Made these from the TikTok version of your recipe and they came out perfect.

Note: The recipe should state Thai Basil.

Made one small modification and used a small amount of avocado oil to sauté the garlic and ginger, then added the sesame oil to finish.

I am amazed how crisp the baked tofu tossed in corn starch came out. The outside was shatteringly crisp.

Last edited 3 months ago by Ryk Edelstien
Janeen
Janeen
3 months ago

I used Mirin.
Shaoxing? Never heard of it, but now I want to check it out and do it the traditional way! Thanks for that bit if info
Janeen

Nancy Wang
Nancy Wang
3 months ago

Oh my god this sauce is out of this world, thank you for the recipe!

Neeru
Neeru
3 months ago

Could you fry the tofu in an air fryer after it’s been battered?

Paul D
Paul D
3 months ago

Turned out absolutely delicious! I highly recommend this recipe! I do agree with several other comments that there was not quite enough sauce for my preference, however, I also over reduced my sauce a bit so I think that contributed. I can’t wait to make this again 🙂

Abz
Abz
3 months ago

Perfection!!!!

Yon
Yon
3 months ago

Came across this on YouTube and decided to make it. I think I’ve made it 7 times since. One of my new favorite meals, hands-down!

I just just noticed I’ve been doing it wrong though haha. I’ve been using rice wine vinegar instead of rice wine. Obviously two very different things but, it’s delicious using rice wine vinegar as well! I’ll have to keep an eye out for rice wine 🙂

Mindy
Mindy
3 months ago

Definitely double up on the sauce! Did that and the recipe came out great. I used dried basil and while not as good as fresh, still did the job.

Lee
Lee
3 months ago

The BEST tofu dish we’ve ever made! And we have made a lot 🙂
We did the baked version (saw it on Instagram) and have already made it 4 more times!
Thank you for making such delicious recipes!